Wednesday 21 January 2015

FREQUENCY ADVERBS



Adverbs of frequency are used to describe how frequently we do an activity. They tell us how often something happens.

            Example: I always drink lots of coffee.
                           I usually drive to work.
                           I frequently go to the gym.
                           I often go out for dinner at the weekend.
                           I sometimes watch TV in the evening.
                           I occasionally eat Chinese food.
                           I rarely go clubbing.
                           I seldom go sailing.
                           I hardly ever eat seafood.
                           I never smoke.

Adverbs of frequency come before a main verb EXCEPT for the verb to be which goes after.

            Example: I am always on time. /  I am never late.

https://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/grammar-vocabulary/grammar-videos/adverbs-frequency

 If we use an auxiliary verb (can, must.....) then the adverb is placed in the middle of the two verbs.
                 
           Example: I can always call him in the morning.
                          He must never know our secret.
                     
Sometimes, usually, frequently and occasionally can come at the beginning or the end of a sentence too.

           Example: Sometimes, I prefer to stay at home at the weekend.
                          Occasionally, we meet at the cafeteria for a drink.

Other frequency expressions:

Every day/week/month/year
Once a day
Twice a week
Three times a month
Four times a year

Here you are lots of practice

1 comment: